Friday, May 8, 2009

What's "soup" doc?

Was that a bad joke? Sorry. Well, we had soup and salad for dinner last night. We've been trying to have at least one night a week where we eat a lighter meal. The salad was just a regular iceberg lettuce salad. The soup was carrot soup! Hence the title of this post. Brilliant, I know. Well, we thought it was delicious (the soup). And it's healthy too! Anyway, here's a picture and the recipe in case you have too many carrots running around.




Carrot Soup

3 cups chicken stock
2 cups roasted, pureed carrots
1 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon peeled fresh ginger OR ground ginger to taste
1 teaspoon kosher salt
cilantro (optional garnish)

In a nice big pot, bring the chicken stock, carrots, ginger, and salt to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the yogurt just before serving, stirring it in well.
To roast the carrots, peel and cut into equal sizes. The smaller they are, the shorter the cook time. Then put them on a pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Put them in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until they're nice and tender and golden brown. Then to puree them, just pop them in the blender.

Well, I hope you'll try it. Then maybe you can exclaim, as Will did, "carrots, yum yum."

6 comments:

Helena said...

Love carrot soup. Will have to try it one of these days. There's always carrots in the fridge, you know.

Did you get hungry 1 hour later?

Leilani said...

Hah, yes, so we had smoothies :)

Crystal said...

YUM! I will definitely try this. I always buy too many carrots. I tried a carrot soup for the first time on my mission and I LOVED this...and I'll likely have smoothies afterward too.
:)

Crystal said...

ps: All I have is Sea Salt. Will that totally change the soup if I use that instead?

Leilani said...

Crystal,
The kind of salt will only effect it greatly if you're a food snob. ;-)

The quantity you'll need to get the right amount of saltiness will probably be different though. In fact if you use store bought chicken stock, which comes very salty then I wouldn't add any.

--Ben

Mary said...

I'm not much of a carrot fan but this soup definitely sounds yummy. I'll have to add it to my list of new recipes to try. Thanks!